PRESENT YOUR BEST SELF
An interview is just as much a chance for you to find out more about a job as it is for a prospective employer to assess your suitability for their team.
Here are our top 10 tips for making a positive impression:
- Find out what the dress code is and either match it or dress smarter
- Make sure you arrive on time, plan your route and build in some contingency time
- When they offer you a tea or coffee always take one – the interviewer could be thirsty too
- Research the company and role, don’t just look at their website, speak with any contacts who work or have worked there and look at the online profiles of the people you are meeting to see if you have any common interests or connections
- If you’re going to a competency-based interview, prepare answers to the competencies in the job spec using the STAR method
- If you’re having a phone interview make sure you’re in a quiet location with good phone signal and have enough battery left
- When you’re asked a difficult question or don’t know the answer, be honest, positive and offer solutions
- Always have questions prepared about the job and company, an interview is a two-way process
- If you’re working with a recruiter, give them prompt feedback
- Reflect on the experience and make sure that any outstanding questions you have about the company have been answered before following up in a professional manner
If you’re looking for more tips on interviewing have a look at our Interview Tips board on Pinterest.